St. Peter’s Church

The church was first mentioned in a written document in 1256 and used to belong to the Cistercian Abbey of Stična. The Abbey of Stična was dissolved in 1783 by the Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II and the St. Peter parish became an independent unit.

The church was built in Romanesque style and later enlarged by late Gothic presbytery and bell tower. In the late 18th century the church was rebuilt in Baroque style and a rosary chapel was added. In 1826 the abbey church in Novi Klošter was pulled down and its great altar from 1750 was moved to the parish church of St. Peter. The famous statue of Madonna and Child from 1320 was also transferred from there. In 1860 the church was consecrated by Bishop Anton Martin Slomšek. The last major adaptation of the church, the extended presbytery, new sacristy and new stone altar, was finished in 1913. In 1998 the beautiful new church organ was added.

Statue of Madonna and Child

The exceptional statue of Madonna and Child dating in 1320 is the most remarkable monument in the church. Brought here from neighbouring Novi Klošter, it shows Mother Mary with Child Jesus holding a dove. The statue is one of the most famous and beautiful Gothic statues in Slovenia. Few years ago, it was exhibited in the Louvre.

Elaborate paintings

The interiors of the church are covered by many frescoes, mostly made by Jacob Brollo in 1893. The paintings in the presbytery were made in 1913 by Osvaldo Bierti who also restored Brollo’s frescoes that were damaged during reconstruction of the church. Last but not least, there are also the beautiful Stations of the Cross reliefs from 1924.

Interactive panoramic image of the St. Peter´s Church and Statue of Madonna and Child dating 1320


Rimska cesta 37
Šempeter v Savinjski dolini

+386 3 703 34 70



The Church of St. Peter and the statue inside can be visited during the opening hours of the Roman Necropolis. You can also arrange a visit with the

Tourist Association Šempeter
+386 3 700 20 56

Church of St. Peter Office
+386 3 703 34 70


every day after the mass